Congratulations, Swanson School Class of 2022! We're excited to welcome you on campus this summer. There are a few things you need to know in order to make sure you are set up for your PittStart advising appointment.
Because of the depth of math and science choices available for engineering freshmen, Swanson School of Engineering (SSOE) students will NOT complete their course registration prior to PittStart. An advisor will assist you with course selection and registration during your PittStart session. Prior to attending PittStart, all First-Year Engineering students must complete the following:
- The ALEKS Math placement exam, due July 1.
- Swanson School PittStart Supplemental Information Form
- Online Pre-PittStart Orientation Course
First of all...don't panic! These tests are simply tools that help to determine the courses that are your most appropriate starting points for various subjects. Your success is important to us, and that means registering for classes in which you will have every opportunity to perform well and learn.
- Even if you are matriculating with AP or college credit for math, all SSOE students still need to take the ALEKS Math placement exam to help us best determine the appropriate courses for your first year. Your advisor will discuss your options with you during your PittStart group registration meeting. We are unable to accept previous ALEKS placement exam scores, or ALEKS placement exam scores from other institutions. All SSOE students must take the ALEKS Math placement exam through the University of Pittsburgh.
- The ALEKS Math placement exam may be taken whenever you are ready (starting May 1) but must be completed by July 1.
- Carefully read the guidelines in the grid below so that you can determine which placement exams apply to you.
- If you have questions about placement exams, contact your academic advising center.
- For more information on accepted AP and IB credits, click here.
Please note: Currently, there is no foreign language requirement for the Swanson School of Engineering. Language placement exams are optional, but if you are interested in continuing with a foreign language you took in high school, you must take the placement exam for that language.
|Exam||Required||Location||Time||Take this exam if...|
|Math||Yes||Online||90 min.||All Swanson School freshman must take the ALEKS Math Placement Test prior to their arrival at PittStart, regardless of AP credit, transfer credit, or College in High School experience.
Get detailed information about this exam.
Please Note: The FAQ regarding Math placement at the webpage link above says that students with AP credit shouldn’t take the placement exam. This does not apply to engineering students; all engineering students must take the Math placement exam.
|Music Theory||No||On Campus Day One of PittStart||60 min.||You are considering a major or minor in music. A sufficient score will exempt you from the required course for music majors and minors - Music 0100 Fundamentals of Western Music.|
|French||No||Online||60 min.||You wish to continue studying the same foreign language you have previously studied, have spoken at home, or have learned abroad.|
|German||No||Online||60 min.||You wish to continue studying the same foreign language you have previously studied, have spoken at home, or have learned abroad.|
|Spanish||No||Online||60 min.||You wish to continue studying the same foreign language you have previously studied, have spoken at home, or have learned abroad.
For specific details about determining placement in college level Spanish classes, please click here.
All students taking the online Spanish exam must also sign up for a Spanish oral interview that will take place during your PittStart session. Starting May 1, you can schedule an interview online.
|Russian||No||On Campus Day One of PittStart||60 min.||You wish to continue studying the same foreign language you have previously studied, have spoken at home, or have learned abroad.|
|Portuguese||No||On Campus Day One of PittStart||60 min.|
|Latin||No||On Campus Day One of PittStart||60 min.|
For placement testing in other languages offered at Pitt, please contact the language faculty directly.